The Central Marfa Historic District, including eleven buildings preserved and repurposed by the artist Donald Judd, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Through this work, Chinati affirms a commitment to research and scholarship that is core to our mission.
We invite you to join us in a look back at some of the good work, paradoxical moments, and beauty that carried Chinati through the challenging past year and into 2021.
This post features a small collection of images documenting the south artillery shed and the construction of its roof in 1983.
This post features rarely-seen contact sheet images from the early 1980s that document the installation of the concrete works
This post features the first of two series of images shot by Sergeant Bernard Langhoop documenting life at Camp Marfa in 1927.
These images show the 1988 installation of a plywood mock-up for Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen's Monument to the Last Horse, a work permanently installed at Chinati in 1991.
These photos document the late 1990s renovation of the six U-shaped former barracks buildings that would together comprise the setting for Dan Flavin's untitled Marfa Project, inaugurated in 2000.
This post features photos from a small collection that documents the artillery shed construction and the installation of Judd's 100 works in mill aluminum.
This month features the second of two series of images shot by Sergeant Bernard Langhoop that document life at Camp Marfa in 1927.
This series of images documents the restoration and adaptation of the former Marfa Wool & Mohair Company building in downtown Marfa, where twenty-two sculptures by John Chamberlain were permanently installed.
These images were taken in August 2006, and document the installation of Robert Irwin's 2006 piece "Untitled (four walls" which remained on view through July 2007