Visitor Services Associate
Job Title: Visitor Services Associate
Department: Visitor Services
Reports to: Visitor Services Manager
Visitor Services Associate plays a crucial role in the Chinati Foundation’s mission of preserving and presenting to the public permanent large-scale installations by a select group of artists. Our Visitor Services Associates are responsible for the safety of the art in the Foundation’s collection, as well as presenting a warm and welcoming face to our many visitors. Visitor Services Associates serve as docents, front desk staff, and/or exhibition attendants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing excellent customer service to visitors of all backgrounds.
- Ensuring the security of both the art and the visitors within gallery spaces.
- Reporting any violations of security policies to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Maintaining knowledge of the museum’s collection, layout, and safety protocols.
- Enacting emergency procedures when necessary.
- Arriving for a shift at least 15 minutes prior to opening for the first scheduled group of visitors.
- Checking visitors in upon arrival and assisting visitors with information and online booking.
- Conducting introductions of the Chinati Foundation to visitors.
- A thorough understanding of Chinati’s history and mission which can be relayed to visitors.
- An ability to answer visitors’ questions and/or directing questions to fellow staff for accurate information.
- Maintaining merchandising standards in Chinati’s Bookstore/Visitor Center.
- Operating the Point of Sale system, accurate cash handling, accepting payments, opening and closing duties.
- Greeting visitors in a friendly and informative manner upon arrival and prior to their departure.
- Enforcing Chinati Foundation policies and visitor code of conduct.
- Supporting the Visitor Services team by responding to requests in a timely manner
- Maintaining a thorough knowledge of Chinati’s collection, history, and upcoming events.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Enthusiasm for art and architecture.
- Enjoys interacting with the public.
- Excellent verbal skills and fluency in English.
- Reliable transportation.
- Maintaining a calm demeanor in an active environment.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize duties.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs. and stand for extended periods of time.
- Enjoys working outdoors.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- 1+ years of experience in customer service.
- Experience working in Microsoft programs and Adobe creative suite.
- Fluency speaking Spanish and/or other languages.
- Past experience working in the art world.
This is a part-time position based in Marfa, Texas. While training, the pay rate is $13 per hour. Once training is completed, the pay rate rises to $15 per hour.
Interested parties should email email@example.com with the subject line “Visitor Services Associate”
The Chinati Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, national origin, ethnic origin, citizenship status, disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in its employment policies. In addition, Chinati will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
About the CHINATI FOUNDATION:
The Chinati Foundation is a museum created by the American artist Donald Judd in far West Texas. At Chinati, large-scale works of art by 13 artists are permanently sited in relation to architecture and the land. The museum complex of 340 acres and 34 buildings is located primarily on a former military base surrounded by desert grasslands, with several additional sites in the historic town of Marfa. The stewardship of Judd’s vision and supporting the visitor experience are paramount. Applicants should consider the remote location and unique culture of an art town in a border community in the high Chihuahuan desert. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.