chinati
 
visit info support contact
 
Collection
DONALD JUDD
spacer
CARL ANDRE
spacerChinati Thirteener
Words, 1958-1972
INGÓLFUR ARNARSSON
JOHN CHAMBERLAIN
DAN FLAVIN
RONI HORN
DONALD JUDD
spacer100 Untitled Works in Mill Aluminum
15 Untitled Works in Concrete
The Arena
ILYA KABAKOV
RICHARD LONG
CLAES OLDENBURG &
COOSJE VAN BRUGGEN
DAVID RABINOWITCH
JOHN WESLEY
spacer

image

The Arena

The Arena was built in the 1930s as a gymnasium for the soldiers at Fort D.A. Russell. After the fort closed in 1946, the gym floor was torn up for the wood, and sand was laid to provide an indoor arena for horses. In the mid 1980s, Judd restored the building, which was largely dilapidated. Judd left the long strips of concrete that had originally supported the wooden floor, and filled the intervening spaces with gravel. For practical considerations, Judd poured a large concrete area by the kitchen at the south end, and a smaller area at the north end of the building's interior. These two areas comprise half of the total area of the building. Judd also added a sleeping loft and designed the outer courtyard, which includes areas for eating, bathing, and a barbecue. There are two works by David Rabinowitch installed in the building: one on the ground floor (Elliptical Plane in 3 Masses and 4 Scales, 1971-72) and one in the loft (6-Sided Bar, III, 1969). These works are on long-term loan from the Judd Foundation.

More images

The Arena by Donald Judd

spacer